It has been over two years since I released the first version of DSB (DiscountASP.NET SQL Backup). In that time I have received some good feedback and really enjoyed working on this project. Today I'm proud to release the next version of DSB with some very cool features.
- Installation Program
- User Interface
- Schedule Settings
- SQL Compact Data
- Digitally Signed
DSB now includes a real installation program. The installation program will automatically verify that all of the required components (Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0) exist. If a required component doesn't exist, the installation program will download and install it.
DSB now includes a user interface. The user interface simplifies the setup process and makes interacting with DSB easier.
The Account List is the main form. This form displays the current status of every account, is used to perform account maintenance (new, edit, delete), and access the logs.
- Start: starts the service in the Service Control Manager.
- Stop: stops the service in the Service Control Manager.
- Restart: restarts the service in the Service Control Manager.
- Install: installs the service in the Service Control Manager.
- Uninstall: uninstalls the service from the Service Control Manager.
- New Account: displays the Account Maintenance with a new account.
- Edit Account: displays the Account Maintenance form for the selected account.
- Delete Account: permanently deletes the selected account and all of the corresponding logs.
- Account Logs: displays the Log List form for the selected account.
- Import Accounts: creates account by importing settings from DSB v1.
The Account Maintenance form is used to define the account settings. This form includes the ability to test the settings and to manually perform the backup process.
- Account Settings: Description and API Key are required.
- Database Settings: Backup Type and Database Name are required.
- FTP Settings: FTP Folder, FTP User Name, and FTP Password are required.
- Local Folder Settings: Local Folder is required.
- SMTP Settings: optional.
- Notification Settings: optional.
- Schedule Settings: all settings are required.
The Account, Database, FTP, Local Folder, and SMTP settings include a Test button. Keep in mind that if you run DSB as a Windows Service, the credentials you test with could have different rights than the Windows Service.
Run Now Tool Button
The Run Now button can be used to manually perform the backup process.
The Log List form displays the account logs.
DSB now includes the ability to schedule when and how often the backup process is performed. Keep in mind that these settings only apply if DSB is ran as a Windows Service. Also, DiscountASP limits how often a backup can be performed. The current limit is once every 6 hours.
SQL Compact Data
DSB now stores the account information and logs in a SQL Compact 4.0 Database. The database is located in the Common Program Data folder. On a Windows 7 PC, this equates to C:\ProgramData\PF Solutions\DASP SQL Backup\.
All of the DSB EXE and DLL files are now digitally signed.